You travel regularly in your car or motorbike, both for professional and personal reasons, and you like to have everything you need at hand and improve driving and circulation. In that case, you should know that one of the essential items you must possess is a radar detector.
Top 7 Radar Detector
- Wireless Phone Accessory
- 360 Degree Digital Signal Processor
- GPS With Red Light Camera Alerts
- Beltronics RX65 Red Professional Series Radar/Laser Detector
- IN THE BOX INCLUDED: Professional Series RX65 Radar/Laser Detector, Comprehensive owner's...
- Fewer false alerts with cobra's patented technology! The IVT filter TM system reduces...
- Long range! In flat, open conditions The range is at least 2 miles. Please Note that...
- Escort Passport 8500 X50 Radar & Laser Detector with Smart cord USB
- "V-Tuned" radar receiver provides extreme long-range warning on all radar
- Blistering All-Band Protection
- 360-Degree Radar and Laser Detection, Advanced Digital Signal Processing, AutoSensitivity...
- AUTOLEARN TECHNOLOGY - 360° protection and patented anti-falsing technology uses the...
- ESCORT ADVANTAGE - As threats increase, stay ahead of them with ESCORT LIVE! and the...
What is a detector?
As its name suggests, a radar detector is a device whose main function is to let you know where radar is installed, once it locates it through waves. In this way, when you become aware of it, it prevents you from being fined for speeding, because knowing that there is one will raise your foot off the accelerator. That is to say, that you will go at the speed that is legally allowed in the road you are traveling through.
Data to keep in mind about radar detectors
In addition to all the above, it is important to establish another series of data that will be interesting about radar detectors:
- You have to differentiate them from the radar and inhibitor warnings. The first, which are fully allowed, come to alert the driver of the fixed radars that the DGT has installed and that are announced directly by it. The second ones, the inhibitors, are forbidden, and what they do is, by means of waves, cancel the frequency of the radar which means that it prevents it from detecting that it is going at a speed that is not correct.
- The radar detectors are also prohibited and can carry a fine of 200 euros and the loss of 3 points. However, we must bear in mind that there is already a judicial ruling that determines that the driver will not be punished if it is not shown that he has used the one he has in the car. That is, it is illegal to use them, but not to take them in the vehicle.
- No less relevant is that it is considered that this type of technological device brings with it a series of advantages when using it, such as being able to perform a quieter driving, avoid infractions and even have more capacity to react to a radar.
- In the same way, we can not ignore that the detector, like the inhibitor, does not need GPS or databases.
Tips for buying a speed camera detector
When it comes to buying a device like the one we are dealing with, it is important to look at certain aspects that will determine the most appropriate one:
- You have to pay attention to what is the method that has updated so that this is simple.
- Of course, it is also necessary to consider what extras it includes. That is, you have to be aware of whether, in addition to radar alerts, you can give more information about the state of the road and even the driving that is taking place. Thus, it will be possible to face a safer, more comfortable and peaceful trip.
- The system of warnings and alerts that you have, which must be clear and discreet.
What should you pay attention to when buying a radar detector?
We have already seen the list of the best radar warnings, but it is convenient that, additionally, you have in mind some characteristics that radar detectors must always comply with, so you know what you should buy beyond the previous list.
About the radars
First of all, you have to look at the type of radars that you warn about because not all radar detectors offer the same information in this regard. For example, it is normal for radar detectors to warn of fixed and mobile radars, but these are not the only types of radars that exist. There are also tunnel or traffic light radars, and you should also have protection from them.
These radars are a bit more complicated to detect, and you need a more professional radar detector. In the list we have presented several that offer this type of more complex detection, so you should not have problems.
In any case, if you think that you are only going to use it for a type of road in which there are only fixed and mobile radars, you may not need such an advanced detector. I, however, recommend that you acquire one that warns of all types of radars … You never know when they will add new radars!
It is also interesting to look at the number of extras that the radar detector in question has. It is true that, if what you want is a radar detector, you may not need according to what extras. But think for a moment that you go to a place you do not know, and you have to carry the GPS and, additionally, the radar detector. Do you know how annoying it can be to have both types of indicators?
Not to mention the problems you may have when trying to manipulate both elements. It is better to have everything integrated into a single device. Of course, this increases the price a little, but the result is much better because it gives you extra comfort that is always welcome.
The comfort provided by the radar detector is also important, because, after all, you do not want to have to continually manipulate the device while driving. That could generate accidents and earn you some fines. For this reason, for example, you should look for a radar detector that is easy to attach to the dashboard and that, as far as possible, can be manipulated by voice commands.
Software and updates
Finally, you have to pay close attention to the software used by the speed camera and the updates it offers or stops offering, because here you can fall into a trap at the time of purchase, and you should be on notice. Some radar detectors offer software that is periodically updated completely free of charge. However, some other radar warnings offer you that updated software only for a limited time.