You do not have to feel like you’re making up when you buy a laptop for less than $ 500. There are laptops at reasonable prices that include Full-HD screens, solid performance, and long battery life, plus all the ports you need.
A budget of 500 dollars is the most common budget among people and for that price, people want their laptops can perform all the daily tasks and also some light games. Some also want a good screen, while others prefer a light laptop with a full-day battery and a good keyboard, all below $ 500. That is economic laptops but high quality. You can even get a 2 in 1 with a touch screen in this price range, although it will be a little smaller screen.
Top 7 Laptop Under 500 Dollars
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8130U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-lit Display
- Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad, HP Digital Pen in natural...
- 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS Bright View micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen (1920 x 1080)
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 14.2" Wide, 0.8" Thin and portable footprint with 0.3" Nano edge bezel for a stunning 80%...
- 15.6-Inch IPS Touchscreen FHD (1920x1080)
- 8th Generation Intel Quad Core i5-8250U
- 11.6" HD Display
- 32 GB eMMC storage: An embedded Multimedia Card provides reliable flash-based storage
- Upgrade RAM for multitasking, available at 4gb|8gb|16gb
- Upgrade SSD for fast boot up and running, available at 128gb|256gb|512gb|1tb SSD, or...
- Intel Celeron Dual Core N4000 Processor (1.1GHz, Turbo up to 2.6 GHz, 4M Cache)
- 11.6-Inch HD LED backlight display (1366 x 768); Windows 10
How to choose an economical laptop
Although the best laptops cost much more, the average consumer spends less than $ 500 on a new laptop. When you buy a laptop in this price range, you have to make some commitments, so it is important to prioritize the functions that matter most and get as many of them as possible, without breaking your budget.
When evaluating a laptop, consider the following factors in order of importance:
- Full-HD screen (1920 x 1080): Most inexpensive laptops are equipped with low resolution 1366 x 768 screens that allow you to place a large amount of text at a time. If you can find a laptop with a screen that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, you can see more of your favorite web pages, emails, social media feeds, and documents. You will also get much sharper images and videos.
- SSD or MMC memory: most laptops under $ 500 use mechanical hard drives, but if you can get one with a solid-state drive or eMMC storage, another form of solid-state memory, you’ll accelerate the start times of the applications and the boot.
- Good construction quality: if you see a laptop with a soft touch finish or real aluminum on any of its surfaces, especially the cover and lid, that’s a sign of good design. However, in this price range, you probably have to settle for the plastic.
- Choose the correct CPU: a Core i3 processor is pretty good for this price range. Intel Pentium and Celeron CPUs are useful, but not particularly fast. A Chromebook generally requires less processing power than a Windows machine.
Laptop with Windows or Chrome?
You will want a Windows 10- based machine if you have to use applications such as Adobe or Microsoft suites. Laptops with the Chrome operating system can run the Android versions of those applications with Google Play emulation, but they are often incomplete and give you a minimum of functionality.
However, Chromebooks will be better if you live inside the Chrome browser and prefer a system that cares for itself. With a Chromebook, you will never need antivirus software, and system updates are done automatically. Chromebooks are also more dependent on the web since offline modes are not as widely available yet.
What laptop to buy?
I have tried to make the best possible article, choosing the best quality laptops, but I have not explained yet what I have based on when recommending a certain laptop. In addition to the value for money, there are many other details related to the internal components of the same. That is why below we will summarize some of the most important aspects that you should take into account.
Processors – the heart of the laptop
In cheap laptops, having a good processor is essential, since it is the one that is responsible for running the applications and games properly. A low-powered processor will transform your experience into a nightmare. Whenever you can, we recommend you buy the latest processors from the market. They tend to be more powerful and also more efficient, which means that the laptop will heat less, but more importantly, your battery will last longer.
RAM memory and expansion
In addition to the processor, you must take into account the RAM, which serves to keep different programs and tasks open at the same time on the computer. For less than € 500, most cheap laptops have 4GB, but it is becoming more common to integrate 8GB.
On RAM in laptops, you should know two things:
- The size of RAM modules for laptops, also known as SO-DIMMs, are smaller than those used in PCs.
- Most laptops allow you to expand the RAM.
With the reduction of the size of the laptops, many times you will have to choose between storage capacity with HDD disks and speed with SSD disks. The idea is to have both in the same system, but you will hardly find this option in a little heavier and expensive laptops.
If you need speed and you use cloud storage, then choose a laptop with an SSD. In this guide, we analyze the best SSD drives and in this other some cheap online backup services that will allow you to save all your files without needing a hard drive.
Do you need a graphics card?
If you are looking for a cheap laptop for common tasks, such as browsing the Internet, using the Office or watching movies, you may not be interested in having a dedicated graphic. Not only because it will be a little more expensive, but because they will make the notebook heavier and your battery will last you much less.
Portable Gaming Cheap?
For less than € 600 it is difficult to recommend a laptop for gaming. Most use the graphics integrated into the processor, so the results are not the best. However, for a little more we began to see laptops with the NVIDIA MX130 or the GTX 1050, which are low-end graphics that will allow you to play undemanding titles. Check out this guide that we update every month with the best gaming laptops.